So deliciously buttery and verdant of hue, there are many ways I love thee avocado, let me name a few…
- I love that you taste so sinfully delicious, but you’re full of good fats, not those nasty trans or saturated fats. Plus you’re cholesterol and sodium free.
- I love that you make my skin beautiful. The antioxidants in avocados help to get rid of toxins that accelerate premature ageing of the skin. Facial skin is susceptible to a build up of pore-clogging makeup residue. Applying mashed avocado as a facial mask and leaving it on for about 20 minutes before rinsing will help cleanse and soften the skin.
- I love to use you as a spread on my toast with a sprinkle of good salt. The wicked treat you’re having when you’re not having a wicked treat.
- I love to use you in my salads. Any kind of salad. Mmmm avocado salad.
- I love that you complete me. Avocados provide all 18 essential amino acids necessary for the body to form a complete protein. Unlike the protein in steak, which is difficult for most people to digest, avocado protein is readily absorbed by the body because of its high percentage of fibre. If you’re trying to cut down on animal sources of protein in your diet, or if you are a vegetarian or vegan seeking more protein, avocados are a great nutritional ally. They have the highest protein content of any fruit.
- I love that you add a creamy richness to my smoothie without the cow.
- I love that you help me with my ABCs. While avocados are high in calories (one avocado is 320 calories – although who counts calories these days?), the various nutrients and healthy fats make it a must-eat. They provide an alphabet of vitamins. One avo boasts vitamins A, C, E, K and B6, along with potassium and cholesterol-lowering monounsaturated fat. Avocado makes you healthier when you eat it because it improves the absorption of nutrients from other foods by up to 400% – It’s like the nutritional equivalent of a gym buddy!